//

Crushes, Confessions and Confusion

by Camille Panetta, staff writer

Unless you live under a rock or in a secluded cave somewhere, you’ve probably seen or heard of the Warren Wilson Confessions and the Warren Wilson Crushes Facebook pages. These pages, which both started in mid-September, allow Wilson students to anonymously submit confessions and shoutouts to people they are crushing on. The Echo decided to get in touch with the admins of these pages (who responded anonymously) to learn about why they decided to create the page, and what they think know that their page has become more and more popular among Wilson students.

Crushes 

Cartoon by William Kissane

The Echo: Why did you create your page? Did you have specific goal in mind?

Crushes: Well, I saw that other colleges had them and I thought it was a cool idea. I also think it’s a nice way to spread love and compliment people. 

The Echo: What is your favorite post?

Crushes: I really like the one that goes “I like a boy but I feel like he’s much too good for me” because the comments show how supportive people at Wilson can be.

The Echo: Do you think people abuse the page? Has there been any submissions that you didn’t post?

Crushes: I don’t think people do but sometimes I think people don’t put into consideration that certain comments can make people uncomfortable I still post them and leave them up until someone voices that it makes them uncomfortable though

The Echo: What’s your opinion of the Confessions page? What makes your page different from the other?

Crushes: I think it’s really entertaining but some of the posts should not have been posted because they can be kind of mean. My page is more about shout outs to people while [ the Confessions] page is a wide variety of secrets people submit.

The Echo: Have you heard of any of your posts bringing people together?

Crushes: So far not yet but I have seen some where people admit that it’s them. [The posts] are anonymous so it is hard unless people feel confident enough to admit it was them [who submitted the post].

The Echo: What do you think about all the buzz on campus about these pages?

Crushes: It’s really funny, also it’s weird when I’m with people who are talking about it and they don’t realize that I run this page.

The Echo: What kinds of things do they say?

Crushes: Sometimes I hear people saying something like ‘Oh did you see this specific post on the crush page’ or ‘Have you seen that page yet.’

The Echo: When you graduate what will happen to the page? Will you pass it on or continue to run it?

Crushes: That’s a good question. It depends on if [the page] is still popular but I would be willing to pass it on.

The Echo: Has the page become out of hand? Is it overwhelming with all of the posts?

Crushes: They aren’t out of hand it’s pretty easy to deal with when I have free time or [I] am really bored I go on the Tumblr [page], Facebook and [my] email [to] check out the things people send. Not a lot of time is put in [to it] because it’s simple enough to copy paste stuff that people send in.

The Echo: Anything you would like to add or shed light on about your page?

Crushes: I love submissions and shout outs and it’s nice when people write shout outs complimenting everyone…it can really make people’s days!

Confessions 

Cartoon by William Kissane

Confessions: I created this page because I had seen a “confessions” page for a friend’s college awhile back and it was very entertaining to read. My goals were mostly to provide some kind of trivial amusement for students here, but once people started submitting I realized it actually gives people a way to vent or share experiences in a safe and anonymous way, and I think it means a lot more to some people than just confessing who they have a crush on. On the subject of venting, I think a lot more reserved people are able to really express opinions or observations without getting criticized directly.

The Echo: What is your favorite post?

Confessions: That’s a tough question; there are so many sweet and heartfelt posts, or absolutely random and hilarious ones…but I really appreciate this one: #229 “No one would guess how lonely I am. I hang around lots of people but I feel like I don’t have any true friends here, it makes me sad.” I feel like it echoes a lot of other posts and is a sentiment felt by many students on campus, or just people our age, in general.

Confessions: There have been several confessions I haven’t posted because they negatively targeted a specific person, or group of people, and a couple were just too explicit for me to feel comfortable posting, but besides those few, people have been generally respectful. I don’t have any evidence of people abusing the page, though sometimes I do wonder at the random and seemingly incomprehensible things that are submitted.

The Echo: What are their standards for posting?

Confessions: My standards are basically anything goes unless it’s racist or homophobic, or very sexually explicit.

The Echo: What’s your opinion on the Crushes page? What makes your page different from the other?

Confessions: I think it’s a cool idea, but the fact that it’s a profile and not a page, and that submissions are not anonymous to whoever is running it, might hold back some people from submitting. It does seem like my page inspired them to start though, and I think that’s kinda neat.

The Echo: Have you heard of any of your posts creating real-life connections or conflicts?

Confessions: It seems like a few people have connected through this page, which is awesome, and as for creating conflicts…I’m not sure. There have definitely been differing opinions which caused mild conflicts on this page, but outside of this page, I don’t know……Actually, there was one confession where someone mentioned getting a lot of unwanted attention after being mentioned on this page, so I guess there is that conflict.

The Echo: What do you think about all the buzz on campus about this page?

Confessions: I’ve overheard people wondering about who is running this page, or talking about certain posts or how much fun it is to read, and a few times I [have] actually been a part of conversations where we were talking about this page, and it’s so hard not to reveal anything…especially when friends are talking about it with me. Someone suggested the Crushes person and I [should] meet or something, but neither of us will reveal to the other who we are! I had no idea how much either page would take off though, so it’s been quite interesting to watch them grow.

Confessions: This page is not getting out of hand so far. There are a manageable number of submissions each day. It was overwhelming at first, but it’s a lot easier now.

Confessions: Oh, I have no idea…if Facebook is even still around then, I guess I’ll find someone to pass it on to, or maybe I’ll continue running it. Who knows!

Confessions: Several people have been messaging me privately on this page, and I just want to put it out there that I am a very good listener, and if people just need someone to talk to feel free to message me. I won’t judge you, and I won’t reveal anything to anyone.