To record & listen:
- The person doing the recording should wear headphones to monitor the recording.
- It’s best not to hold the recorder directly in your hand while recording. Use the holder attachment that screws onto the back of the recorder. Then, you can place the recorder on a table and angle it towards the interviewee, or if you need to, you can hold the recorder by the attachment.
- Hold power button until recorder lights up.
- “Enter” through any prompts. (If you get one about connecting to WiFi, you can say no to that one).
- Press “Record” — red light will flash.
- Look at the Recording Meter and Level. It should average -6 to -12db (many of the recorders have a small triangle symbol to aim for). Adjust the “Input Level” buttons if necessary.
- Press “Record” again, the lights will turn solid — YOU ARE RECORDING!
- If you want to pause your recording, press “Record” (the red lights should be flashing); press “Record” again to resume.
- When you are done recording, press the button with the square/HOME.
- You can then press the play button to play the file you just recorded (best to listen with headphones).
To download the recordings to your computer:
- Connect to computer with provided USB cable.
- Turn recorder on.
- Select “Storage”
- Open the device on your computer (will show as an external drive)
- Open the “music” folder, and you can drag and drop files.
- Eject the device from your computer and turn it off by holding down on the power button until it turns off.