//

Arts & Entertainment

Wilson Songwriter Takes the Stage

By Adrianna Daly, Staff  Writer

“Wilson has  affected my music a lot,” says Kristen Large, a first-year student and musician who followed her love for the Blue Ridge mountains and old time music and  entered a songwriting contest. She had no expectation of the outcome. The songwriting contest was hosted“  by Montreat College and the only requirement was to write a  song about the Blue Ridge mountains.  Large heard about the contest from her banjo instructor Phil Jamison,  who encouraged her to enter the contest. Large performed  the piece with Colin Holmes, third-year Wilson student, who sang backup harmonies and played mandolin on the track.  Large’s winning song is entitled “Mockingbird

“The song is about missing someone and missing a place, it’s about physical and emotional distance,” she says. “When I won the contest, I felt very honored and  shocked.”

Large grew up in Nashville, Tennessee and has many fond memories of traveling through the Smoky and Blue Ridge mountains as a child, so writing the song felt right.  “The traditions of the Appalachian mountains are so rich, and observing that inspired me,” Large said. She is mainly inspired by Pete Seeger and Bobbi Gentry: “Bobbi  Gentry taught me about writing songs as stories, and Pete Seeger taught me about making my songs have a message.”

Large aspires to graduate with an integrative studies major with a focus on medieval literature and music. She wants to continue to play shows around Asheville and at  Wilson when she can. To hear “Mockingbird” and other songs, be sure to visit Large’s SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/kristenlarge. In addition, the Echo’s  videographer Amber Beidler will be producing a video of Large performing the song with Holmes. To see the video when it’s released, be sure to subscribe to the Echo’s  YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/wwcecho.