//

Whatever Happened to Carson?

By Grace Hatton, Editor-in-Chief 

During my first year at Wilson a building stood as a prominent part of the campus architecture, that  building being Carson Hall. Carson Hall was built in 1926 as a gift to the college given by Anne C.  Carson. Carson Hall, a tall brick building with white doors and an old-time clock sitting atop those  doors, was one of the few buildings on campus (along with Spidel and Sunderland) that reminded me  that Wilson had actually been around for a long time. Indeed, Carson was the oldest building on  campus and was home to the Education, Religion, Peace Studies, and Outdoor Leadership  departments, as well as to the Environmental Leadership Center.

Carson was a gorgeous old building, but in the summer of 2011, between my first and second year,  Carson was discovered as being infested with mold. The problem was seemingly so out of control that  then president Sandy Pfeiffer ordered the decommissioning and razing of Carson Hall. Carson Hall  was torn down and many of the faculty and staff who called Carson home were displaced to various  buildings around campus.

Thus, the area just past the Admissions Office, between the two giant oak trees where those lonely  stone benches sit, where Carson used to stand, remains quiet and empty. After the razing of Carson,  there was talk of a new and improved Student Activity Center being built on the vacant lot. This would be a Center with more than just old sofas and a ping-pong table. Aside from a few e-mails from the campus architect, however, who said that campus talks were being facilitated for students to bring ideas to the administration, there was no more talk of this new Student Activity Center. Now, every time I walk past those lonely stone benches that are no longer attached to a building, I think about Carson Hall and the promises that the former administration made for a brand new, sustainable Student Activity Center that would include a slew of offices for the displaced departments.

Beyond that, as I talk to first-years, sophomores, and even juniors, I realize that my year is the last that will know this campus with Carson gracing its grounds. After we graduate, no one will remember Carson or the promises for a new space to be built on its former grounds. Therefore, I will be posing the question: whatever happened to the Student Activities building that was supposed to replace Carson Hall? I hope that in the next issue of the Echo I will have an answer for the community.

7 Responses to “Whatever Happened to Carson?”

1. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I’ll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return.

Posted by radom sport | July 12, 2014, 6:59 pm
  2. Good blog post. I definitely appreciate this site. Stick with it!

Posted by architect scale | September 1, 2014, 1:03 pm
  3. I quite like reading a post that can make people think. Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!

Posted by architecture 3d | September 21, 2014, 6:05 am
  4. I’m impressed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both equally educative and engaging, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head. The problem is something too few men and women are speaking intelligently about. Now i’m very happy I came across this in my hunt for something concerning this.

Posted by architecture | September 21, 2014, 6:07 am
  5. This is certainly great, definitely will look it over, useful website, will certainly bookmark, thanks.

Posted by we are fans | October 19, 2014, 4:14 am
  6. whoah this weblog is magnificent i like studying your posts.
    Stay up the good work! You know, many individuals are searching round for this information, you could help them greatly.

Posted by Www.youtube.com | October 20, 2014, 4:41 pm
  7. I feel this is among the so much important info for me.
    And i am happy reading your article. But should remark
    on some general things, The web site taste is wonderful, the articles is actually nice :
    D. Excellent task, cheers

Posted by Arnoldo | October 20, 2014, 5:28 pm