//
you're reading...

Campus News

Soggy Summer Leads to Mold

by Grace Hatton, Reverb Editor

Wilson is no stranger to mold and this summer mold spores of a black color snuck up in two bathrooms on the ground floor of one of the Village A suites. Wilson’s process for dealing with mold is to abate (remove) materials which may contain active or non-active mold spores. Wilson hired a consultant and a certified mold abatement company to remove the drywall in the Village A bathrooms and clean all surfaces (including framing) they believed might have been in contact with mold spores. The affected areas were removed by Aug. 15.

“Our consultants assure us that the problem was caught in time and that the residents should not have experienced harmful effects,” says Design and Construction Supervisor Jason Lackey. “The project is now coming to completion and we plan to hire a third party specialist to take air samples to monitor the amounts of mold spores that remain, which we believe should come back at the normal indoor amounts expected.”

One of the potential causes of the mold spores was due to the increased rainfall Western North Carolina experienced over the summer. The area’s total rainfall so far this year has exceeded the average amount of rainfall by 30 inches.

“The thing that some people including myself forget is that all it takes is moisture and organic materials to grow mold,” says Lackey.

Things like leaving wet boots in the back of closets, wadding bath towels, damp work clothes on the floor and even leaving windows open during a rainstorm introduces high humidity in a living space which can lead to mold growth.

Discussion

No comments yet.

Post a Comment

Stories by Category