//

Features

Remember That Difficult Moments Help Us Grow

by Kate Lundquist, guest columnist, the Wellness Cricket

“My dear friend and mentor, Seane Corn, once told me, “I wish you plenty of pain.” Once I got past the “but I thought we were friends” reaction, she explained what she meant. Pain and injury are what allows us to grow. If we were to skate through life without a care, we would breeze past so many beautiful nuances that make us who we are. It’s the pain and struggle that give us power and stability; the strongest trees bear the deepest roots and can endure anything. So in that sense, injury isn’t always this dark angel out to get us—often it’s the perfect recipe for allowing us to experience empathy, growth, and compassion.”
-Kathryn Budig about Seane Corn, 2 of the most influential women in the yoga world.

This past week was full of surprises that threw me off balance, stressed me out, and made me feel slighted. It is easy to get caught up in the drama of life, to feel like a tornado picked you up and spiraled you into chaos. It is also normal to wonder why certain things happen to us. Why did that person treat me that way? Why did this negative interaction happen? But here it is, laid out by two of my mentors.

It is through these moments that we grow, that we learn and move forward as a stronger and better person. After the emotional torrent passes a bit, maybe in the morning, your eyes can feel a little softer and your brow relaxes a bit.

Every moment is for you to understand another aspect of people, interactions, and overall, life. It is a matter of perception and compassion for the self and others. Whether you are experiencing an emotional or physical injury, keep in mind that it is just another moment to learn from. We are all here to support one another through it.

While in college it can feel like you are pulling your feet through the mud to make it to spring break, or the end of the semester. We must attend class and work to earn high grades and cultivate a strong work ethic. However, sometimes life happens and it can feel like you are doing this all by yourself.

Tip of the Week: Do something kind for yourself. Take a class, get a massage, go for a walk. A little love goes a long way.

A friend told me her father died last month, and I was shocked that she was even able to function, let alone be at school. Even if your situation is not as intense, there are still things that happen to us that can make us roll into a downward spiral.

We on the Wellness Crew want you to know that we are here for you, complete with massages, herbal remedies, reiki, yoga, acupuncture, and a compassionate heart to help you through the best of times and the most difficult of times. If you are starting to feel overwhelmed with school or loss of a person in your life, or you just need a little TLC, head over to open hours at Wellness or email strilling@warren-wilson.edu to schedule an appointment.

One Response to “Remember That Difficult Moments Help Us Grow”

1. certainly like your website but you have to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very troublesome to tell the truth then again I’ll definitely come again again.

Posted by dobra nowina | July 17, 2014, 9:35 am