//

Plumbing Crew Plans to Put Filters on Campus Water Fountains

by Tim Burkhardt, staff writer

photo by Josh Reiss

Pay close attention to the water fountains around campus in the upcoming months; some of them will be getting upgrades. Kara Nipper, a Wilson student and employee on the plumbing crew, applied for and received a $500 grant from the Environmental Learning Center. Plumbing Crew has used this seed grant to purchase water filters that will modify several existing fountains around the school. The hope is that this improvement will encourage students and faculty to be more willing to carry reusable beverage vessels rather than disposable plastic and paper ones.

The first filter will be installed in the FMTS building, near the plumbing shop. After that, filters will be potentially placed in Gladfelter, Morse, Ogg, and on the third floor of Jensen. The student body and faculty will be able to enjoy clean, good-tasting water without relying on the impractical, expensive, and far less sustainable Mountain Valley Spring Water brand water coolers that lurk in some of the administration buildings. Mountain Valley may be a local Asheville company, but all that water which is siphoned from a spring in the Nantahala Forest and delivered by truck to Warren Wilson, is water that could be coming from our (soon to be) freshly filtered fountains.

The water filters are on order, but have not yet arrived. According to Kara Nipper and the plumbing crew, the improved water stations should be functioning on campus some time after spring break.

Apart from the direct environmental benefits from cutting down on the use of BPA laced plastic bottles, the installation of the filters will help bolster Warren Wilson’s image as being a school that cares about the condition of our planet.

5 Responses to “Plumbing Crew Plans to Put Filters on Campus Water Fountains”

1. Thats good news. I remember when I was in college the water fountains taste was horrible.

Posted by Robb | May 13, 2012, 3:39 pm
  2. At this moment I am going to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast coming over again to
    read other news.

Posted by 24 hour plumbing service | July 27, 2014, 5:13 pm
  3. Hey just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the
    pictures aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I
    think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the
    same outcome.

Posted by Cleta | July 28, 2014, 12:00 am
  4. Hello! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 3gs!
    Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look
    forward to all your posts! Keep up the superb work!

Posted by Prince | July 28, 2014, 7:39 pm
  5. WOW !! What a useful site and helpful discussed to Plumbing, Really impressive post and information.

Posted by San Jose plumber | October 16, 2014, 4:22 pm