//

Arts & Entertainment

Warren Wilson College Writer-in-Residence Jane Brox to Give Public Reading Nov. 15

by Nadia Pappalardo, staff writer

Jane Brox speaking in Sage Cafe Nov. 14. Photo by Josh Reiss.

MFA Graduate Jane Brox visited the Warren Wilson Community on Monday, November 14th. During her time at Wilson, Brox visited writing classes, read from her newest publication of creative non-fiction entitled Brilliant: The Evolution of Artificial Light at Sage Café, and became reacquainted with the campus.

“Every morning I sit in the formal gardens,” says Brox. “I sit and enjoy the warmth since I’m from Maine and the mountains since I’m used to the ocean.”

Brox’s latest work features her extensive research and interest in the history of lighting. Dating back from the Middle Ages to America’s great divide between industrialization of the south and north, Brox illustrates the impact of light in each society.

Growing up in a farming community, Brox drew inspiration from her own roots to further her knowledge on light.

In the classrooms, Brox shared her stories of self doubt and triumph with creative writing students. She answered all questions on becoming a well developed writer.

“I’ll quote my devoted father when I say: stick with it,” says Brox. “Don’t try to look too far down the road. Look for chances that are right in front of you.”

With Brox’s remaining time at Warren Wilson, she plans to explore the campus more extensively, especially taking time to hike Suicide Ridge. When asked what she enjoyed most about her stay at Warren Wilson, Brox spoke of her curiosity about the work program.

“The more I learn about the work program, the more I am interested. Learning has been the highlight [of visiting Warren Wilson].”

Presently, Brox is working on a series of essays centered on the subject of silence. Unraveling each individual characteristic silence can embody, Brox plans to portray the multitude of ways silence can be perceived and understood.