//

Warren Wilson College Auto Shop Crew Welcomes New Supervisor This Term

by Samantha Capps, copy editor

Autoshop Supervisor Johnathan Unger (left) with Kyle Carpenter (left). Carpenter is an alumni who ran the auto shop while the crew was without a supervisor. Photo by Josh Reiss.

Since the beginning of this term, the Warren Wilson Auto Shop Crew has had a new supervisor, Jonathan Unger, who has worked as a mechanic since 1997.

Unger heard about the auto shop supervisor position through Warren Wilson staff members whose cars he had worked on. He decided to apply for the position believing that he would find more positive-minded workers here, unlike in some of his previous work environments. What Unger likes most about working for Warren Wilson is the enthusiasm of the students. “It’s creating excitement within me and in what I do. It makes it more than just a job and just vehicles. And they’re asking questions that are leading me to go more in-depth and be more thorough,” he said.

Unger looks forward to working with “well-trained students who are able to train each other and new students.”

Other goals he has are to repair an old farm truck that has been out of service and to build electrically powered mini-trucks using only recycled parts from the propane-powered mini-trucks and electric golf carts used by many Facilities Management and Technical Services crews.

The auto shop supervisor position previously had been held by Auto Shop Intern Kyle Carpenter since the summer of 2011, when Ray Cockrell left for undisclosed reasons.

Though he is originally from Burnsville, North Carolina, Unger worked in Colorado for five years for a four-wheel drive and diesel performance shop. He also worked a season and a half for the pit crew of Ultra 4 racer JT Taylor and ran his own shop both before and after living in Colorado.

Unger cautions members of the Warren Wilson community to slow down when driving by the auto shop. He brings his dog, Clutch, to work and does not want any accidents.

“I don’t want to lose my Clutch puppy,” he says.

One Response to “Warren Wilson College Auto Shop Crew Welcomes New Supervisor This Term”

1. I all the time emailed this weblog post page to all my friends, as if like to read it afterward my contacts will too.

Posted by Derrick Burtenshaw | March 27, 2014, 10:30 am