//

Jason Michaels resigns

Maddy Dillon, Staff Writer

Head Cross Country Coach and Outdoor Programs Director Jason Michaels resigned the first week of this month. Michaels, a Wilson alumnus, coached the men’s and women’s cross country teams for the past nine seasons and taught in the Outdoor Leadership Department. He could not be reached for comment.

Bruce Hills was hired as interim outdoor programs director through the end of the semester. Hills, a New Zealand native, has worked at Camp Woodson, a therapeutic alternative-treatment program for delin- quent youth in North Carolina, as the staff supervisor for the past six years. Along with his extensive experience working outdoors, he has traveled and led trips to different parts of the world including Nepal and along the Zambezi river in Africa.

“[Hills is] no stranger to Warren Wilson College,” wrote Stacey Enos, athletics director and women’s soccer coach, in an e-mail to college staff and faculty. “Hills taught an Outdoor Leadership course at Wilson in 2003 and has remained a regular fixture on our campus by participating in many of our annual events.”

Hills received a master’s degree in out- door recreation management at Lincoln University in Christchurch, New Zealand.

“I’m excited to be a part of the Warren Wilson community,” Hills said. “It’s a good match for me, who I am as a person, the people I like to be with.”

While Michaels is currently traveling, he has plans to come back to the area and offered to help Hills in any way he is able. Hills plans to be considered for the perma- nent position as outdoor programs director after the interim position ends in June.

“I am most excited to work with students and doing outdoor activities I really enjoy,” Hills said. White water rafting, paddling, and climbing are a few of his favorites.

“I’m happy to be here,” he said. “It’s a good community, a good school.”