By: Ben Anderson
Warren Wilson College has piled up many national and regional accolades just since July 2008. Here’s the ever-growing list:
• The Fiske Guide to Colleges chose Warren Wilson College as one of its 24 “Best Buys of 2010” among private colleges and universities nationwide, the fifth time since 2005 the guide has selected Warren Wilson for the distinction.
• The Sierra Club’s Sierra magazine ranked Warren Wilson No. 4 among the "10 Coolest Schools" nationwide in the fight against global warming – the second straight year that the college has made Sierra’s top four.
• The 2009 edition of “America’s Best Colleges,” published by U.S. News & World Report, cited Warren Wilson as one of only 25 schools in the “Service Learning” category of “Programs to Look For” in choosing a college. The guide labeled the programs “outstanding examples of academic programs that are commonly linked to student success.”
• The National Wildlife Federation report "Campus Environment 2008" named Warren Wilson as the nation’s "Leading School for Waste Reduction and Recycling."
• Blue Ridge Country magazine recognized Warren Wilson in a feature titled "The Future of Appalachia: 14 People and Places Making a Difference in the Region."
• TheDailyGreen.com, an online publication of Hearst Communications, placed Warren Wilson No. 2 on its list of “10 of the Greenest Colleges in America.”
• Blue Ridge Outdoors selected Warren Wilson as the Southeast’s "Greenest College" for the second consecutive year.
• Plenty: The World in Green selected Warren Wilson as “Runner up” in the category of “Greenest Cafeterias” among college and university dining halls nationwide.